The Minor Basilica of Saint Michael the Archangel (also Basilika Menor ni San Miguel Arkangel), commonly known as the Tayabas Basilica, is a Roman Catholic basilica located in Tayabas, Quezon, Philippines under the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lucena. Its titular is Saint Michael the Archangel whose feast is celebrated every September 29.
The church is dubbed as the largest church in the province of Quezon and is renowned for having the shape of a key. Locals often refer to the church as Susi ng Tayabas or "The Key of Tayabas" because of its floor plan that resembles a key. The church's 103 metres (338 ft) aisle also has the distinction of having the longest nave among Spanish colonial era churches in the Philippines.
The Catholic community of Tayabas was established in 1578 by Franciscan priests, Fray Juán Portocarrero de Plasencia and Fray Diego de Oropesa de San José, known as the Apostles of Laguna and Tayabas. In 1580, the town of Tayabas was established as a parish with St. Michael the Archangel as its designated patron saint in 1580. Like most churches in the Philippines during the Spanish colonial era, the first church of Tayabas was an ordinary camarin type church made of bamboo, nipa and anahaw constructed under the supervision of Franciscan friars between 1580 and 1585. The church was repaired under the supervision of Saint Pedro Bautista in 1590. In that same year, the church obtained permission from the Superior Government to build the church using stone. Upon the order of San Pedro Bautista, head of the Franciscans, the church was rebuilt using bricks in 1600 but was later destroyed by the 1743 earthquake with the walls being left standing. Due to the growing number of Catholics in Tayabas, the church was again rebuilt and extended. Further expansion was done in 1856 to 1866 with the addition of the transept in the shape of a routunda and copula under the term of Father Benito de la Pila. The brick tile roof was replaced with galvanized iron sheets in 1894.
Father Manuel Gonzales bought the administration building (casa administracion) used by the provincial head of the Franciscan for Php 962 in 1855. He donated it to the town to be used as classrooms in replacement to the old rooms in ruins. The construction of the school was ordered by Father Gonzales in 1878 using stone, lime and tiled roof. Together with Father Samuel Mena, Father Manuel Gonzales rebuilt the old Tribunal built by Governor La O which was unused since it was burned down in 1877.
From 1896 to 1899, Father Isabelo Martinez became the first Filipino priest assigned to Tayabas Basilica followed by Father Amando Alandy, a native of Tayabas, from 1899 to 1900.
The church was dedicated on March 14, 1987 by then Lucena bishop Ruben T. Profugo, DD. On October 18, 1988, the title Minor Basilica was conferred by Pope John Paul II and the Congregation for Divine Cult and was proclaimed during a eucharistic celebration on January 21, 1989. It is considered to be one of the most beautiful churches in the Philippines.
Through Presidential Decree no. 374, the National Museum of the Philippines declared Tayabas Basilica as a National Cultural Treasure on July 31, 2001 along with 25 churches in the Philippines.
Ang Sambayanang Kristiyano ng Basilica Menor ni San Miguel Arkanghel
Ang dalawang Prayleng Pransiskano, sina Fray Juan Placencia at Fray Diego de Oropesa ang unang nagtanim ng pananampalatayang Kristiyano sa Tayabas.Noong 1578, sa kanilang masidhing pagnanasay makatagpo ng mga kaluluwa para simulang pagtaniman ng Kristiyanismo, tulad na ang mga bulubunduking bahagi ng Laguna at noon ay kilalang Lalawigan ng Caliraya.
Apat na daan at dalawanpung taon nang bayan. May layong 150 kilometro timog-silangang bahagi ng Maynila. Nahhihimlay sa may paanan ng Bundok Banahaw. Dating punong-lunsod ng lalawigan ng Tayabas (ngayo'y lalawigan ng Quezon). Tinatayang may 76,644 ang naninirahan at 95% nito ay pawang mga Katoliko.
San Diego de Alcala
Nobyembre 12, 1463 sa Alkala, Espanya ay yumaong patungo sa kalangitan si San Diego (Diaz, Didacus). Siya ay ermano sa Orden ni San Francisco de Asis na uliran sa pagmamahal sa Santisimo Sakramento at sa Mahal na Birhen.